Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Land of the Dead (2005)


Decisions, decisions… I saw this film five days ago and I still don’t know what to make of it. So, let’s just start from the beginning… this film, obviously, carries a lot of baggage. I mean, it’s a zombie movie… by Romero… the undisputed Master of zombies.
Was it impossible for this fourth chapter to the Dead series to rise to expectations? Yes, it was…

Romero always liked to experience with the concept of zombies and make his films almost a fictional documentary of the chaotic situation that would be an invasion of the living dead. This time, the zombies have taken the earth a long, long time ago, causing the living to be the minority and are forced to live in colonies. Here we find the first political commentary in the film (something that was always present in the series) because the people who live in the colonies are divided between the rich and the poor. All in the search for survival from the undead menace.
We also see that the zombies are getting smarter (as they were on Day of the Dead), mainly through Big Daddy. You know… the one from the posters.

There is one thing I can´t let pass in this movie: the cheesy dialogue. I felt like I was watching Missing in Action or something and if I heard another “let´s lock and load” I would snap.
However, there are a lot of good things in this film. The zombies are great (although, I think the character of Big Daddy could have used some more work), and Romero treats them like nobody. Especially, in a time when everyone thinks zombies should run.

Does it rise to expectations? Of course not, but only because they were so high… However, when you see it for what it is, you probably find a pretty fun zombie movie.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Cav said...

I felt the same about the movie - the main actors were sooooo wooden and I probably went in expecting too much but at the end of the day it was still more entertaining than most other zombie movies.

The belly button - Ouch!

11:03 PM  
Blogger norman said...

I´m glad you agree. thanks for you comment.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous guile said...

i love zombie movies..

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home